Colorful banderitas hanging on every street. The swing of the majorettes’ batons to the beat of the music of the drum and lyre band. People joining the parade to celebrate the feast of their patron saint or the thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest. Most of all the flooding of food on the dining table plus the food that the neighbors gave that they prepared for the festival. After the savory lechon, menudo, adobo and embutido, a dessert to cap it all off never misses the dining table. One of the famous desserts usually prepared every fiesta is the maja blanca.
Maja Blanca is made of cornstarch, coconut milk, condensed milk, sugar and usually added with sweet corn kernels to add more flavor. It is amazing to know that this sweet, soft and delectable dessert and fiesta staple costs less than three hundred pesos to make!
Why not bring back the memories of the festive spirit and the jolly atmosphere of the barrio fiesta right inside the comforts of your home in this easy maja blanca recipe?
- 4 cups coconut milk
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- ¾ cup fresh milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 15 ounces whole sweet kernel corn
- 5 tbsp toasted grated coconut
- Pour the coconut milk in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, condensed milk, and whole sweet kernel corn then stir until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Simmer for 8 minutes
- Combine the fresh milk and cornstarch then whisk until the cornstarch is diluted
- Pour the fresh milk and cornstarch mixture in the cooking pot and stir thoroughly.
- Allow to cook while stirring until the mixture reaches your desired thickness
- Pour the mixture in a serving tray then arrange and flatten the top using a flat tool such as a wooden spatula
- Allow to cool down then refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Garnish with toasted grated coconut (or latik if available)
- Serve cold. Share and enjoy!
Recipe Source: http://panlasangpinoy.com/
Image Source: http://www.globalgranary.org/2013/10/13/maja-blanca-mais/
Kusina Master Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More....