This delicious rolled cake with a thick, rich custard filling is a dream come true: the light, spongey meringue layer is a perfect foil to the sweet and silky custard’s sinful taste. This beloved Filipino dessert can be found in many bakeries and is perfect for birthdays or other special occasions, or simply to add a touch of joy to an ordinary day by giving yourself a slice in the evening, washed down with plenty of tea or coffee. Try making this on your own in the kitchen—though the rolling takes a bit of practice, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make this decadent dessert at home. It’s also good with some fresh fruit on the side to cut through the sweetness, so some tart strawberries or orange slices would be a lovely and delicious addition to each serving, dusted with powdered sugar.
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 c sugar
- 3 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk.
- In a bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat using an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Make the meringue by gradually adding the granulated sugar while mixing the ingredients. Mix until the texture is semi-firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place wax paper on top of a cookie sheet or large rectangular baking pan and grease the surface.
- Place the meringue on top of the greased wax paper then spread evenly using a spatula.
- Bake the meringue for 20 to 22 minutes or until the color of the top part turns light to medium brown.
- While the meringue is in the oven, make the filling by combining the egg yolks and condensed milk in a small cooking pot. Cook the mixture on the stove (low heat) while continuously stirring until the texture becomes thick.
- Add the vanilla extract to the condensed milk and egg yolk mixture, turn off the heat, and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and cool down for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle the confectioners sugar on top of the meringue then place wax paper on the top part of the meringue, place a similar sized baking pan or tray on top. Note: The meringue should now be in the middle of two baking trays.
- Flip the trays. The tray you just placed on top should now be under. Remove the baking tray that is now on top and the wax paper (you should now see the opposite side of the baked meringue) then spread the filling (cooked egg yolks, condensed milk, and vanilla extract mixture) over the meringue.
- Roll the meringue starting at the longest side. Make sure that the filling is rolled inward and in the center of the roll.
- Transfer to a serving plate, slice then serve.
Source : Foodipino
Kusina Master Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More....